The primary aims of JSHS are:
- To promote research and experimentation in the sciences, engineering, and mathematics at the high school level.
- To recognize the significance of research in human affairs and the importance of humane and ethical principles in the application of research results.
- To search out talented youth and their teachers, recognize their accomplishments at symposia, and encourage their continued interest and participation in the sciences, mathematics, and engineering.
- To expand the horizons of research-oriented students by exposing them to opportunities in the academic, industrial, and governmental communities.
- To increase the number of future adults capable of conducting research and development.